LDAP works, why doesn't ldapadd and ldapsearch?

I've configured LDAP on my Linux box to allow access to an address book.
It works fine locally and remotely.  I just can't seem to get the ldapadd
or ldapsearch commands to work. I've tried dozens of permutations of the
commands, and every time I receive the message "No such attribute":

ldapsearch -LLL -u "(uid=bernie)" postalcode
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute

Listed below are excerpts from my slapd.conf and ldif files. Can someone
give me an example of how to use ldapadd and ldapsearch?

-Thanks!

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf:

database ldbm
#suffix "dc=cjsis,dc=org"
suffix "o=cjsis"
suffix "dc=ldap,dc=cjsis,dc=org"
rootdn "cn=SysAdmin,o=cjsis"
rootpw Herds3
directory /var/lib/ldap/cjsis
defaultaccess read
schemacheck on
lastmod on
#allow *
# Indices to maintain
#index objectClass eq
#index objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber eq #index
cn,mail,surname,givenname eq,subinitial index cn,sn,st pres,eq,sub

/etc/openldap/cjsis.ldif:

dn: dc=ldap,dc=cjsis,dc=org
objectClass: top
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
dc: cjsis
o: cjsis

dn: o=cjsis
objectClass: top
objectClass: organization
o: cjsis

dn: cn=SysAdmin,o=cjsis
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: SysAdmin

dn: ou=Systems,o=cjsis
ou: Systems
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit

dn: ou=Operations,o=cjsis
ou: Operations

dn: cn=Bernie Walker,ou=Systems,o=cjsis ou: Systems o: cjsis cn: Bernard Walker objectClass: top objectClass: person objectClass: organizationalPerson objectClass: inetOrgPerson mail: bernie@mycompany.com givenname: Bernie sn: Walker uid: bernie homePostalAddress: 123 Main St. Iris Rd.$Sometown CA 23142 postalAddress: 123 Main. l: Sometown st: CA postalcode: 23142 telephoneNumber: 609-123-4567 homePhone: 123-456-4532 facsimileTelephoneNumber: 342-342-2345 userPassword: secret title: Systems Administrator