RE: Configuring Solaris 8 clients

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Matthew Mauzy wrote:

> Thanks for the examples but I'm still not able to configure solaris 8 as a
> client of the openldap 2.1.12 server.
>
> Here's my /var/ldap/ldap_client_file
>
> NS_LDAP_FILE_VERSION= 1.0
> NS_LDAP_SERVERS= 152.2.104.6:389
> NS_LDAP_SEARCH_BASEDN= dc=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu
> NS_LDAP_AUTH= NS_LDAP_AUTH_NONE
> NS_LDAP_TRANSPORT_SEC= NS_LDAP_SEC_NONE
> NS_LDAP_SEARCH_REF= NS_LDAP_NOREF
> NS_LDAP_DOMAIN= amath.unc.edu
> NS_LDAP_EXP= 1045640377
> NS_LDAP_SEARCH_DN= passwd:(ou=People,dc=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu),
> group:(ou=People,d
> c=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu)
> NS_LDAP_SEARCH_SCOPE= NS_LDAP_SCOPE_SUBTREE
> NS_LDAP_SEARCH_TIME= 30
>
> Here's my /var/ldap/ldap_client_cred
>
> NS_LDAP_BINDDN= cn=solaris,ou=ldapusers,dc=amath,dc=unc,dc=edu
>

> I've edited /etc/nsswitch.conf to place ldap into the passwd, group, hosts,
> etc., but when I run listusers all I get are the local users.
>
> My questions:
>
>  - For the BINDDN, don't I need the password?  When adding that 'user' into
> the LDAP dir, why is it that the NS_LDAP_BINDDN_PASSWD has the {NS1} stuff?

It depends.  You told the ldap client to bind anonymously to the ldap
server (NS_LDAP_AUTH= NS_LDAP_AUTH_NONE).  You can NS_LDAP_AUTH=
NS_LDAP_AUTH_SIMPLE if you want to simple bind to the ldap server with
NS_LDAP_BINDDN and NS_LDAP_BIND_PASSWD.

>  - Would upgrading to openLDAP 2.1.16 solve any of these problems?
>

> For Solaris 9 I've run the ldapclient command that you supplied (with
> proper alterations for my LDAP system) and am able to get all of the LDAP
> users with listusers (yah!), but when I try and login to one of the LDAP
> accounts I get incorrect password errors.  I can su - <ldap account> so I'm
> getting proper info from the LDAP server.  Is this a PAM problem???

My guess is that anonymous cannot read userPassword attribute, or the
userPassword attribute is not of the {crypt}xxxxxxxxxxxxx form.

Hope this helps.

-Igor

Igor