Different CN's for DN and CN.

Hi,

I have an OpenLDAP directory set up and it all works great. However
after explaining it to some other people who know about LDAP they
pointed out that I have a "problem" with the way my CN and DN are set
up.

Here is how a typical entry would look :

dn: cn=myname, ou=people, dc=sws, dc=oldham, dc=uk, dc=net
cn: My Name
sn: Primary School
... etc.

You will notice that the dn: contains "myname" all one work, all lower
case for the cn part of the dn, but the cn: contains My Name, leading
cap's with a space for it.

How does this work? Does this make the LDAP "wrong"?

Everything works, but it just makes our naming convention a little
difficult to maintain, I am planning on changing the DN to hold the UID
rather than the CN, but some entries don't have a UID, so it means that
I will have a mixture or DN's with UID's and DN's with CN's.

Thanks

Andrew McCall

the system manager.

www.oldham.gov.uk