Re: what if slapd hangs???

--On Friday, March 14, 2003 4:12 PM +0100 Tarassov Vadim <Vadim.Tarassov@winterthur.ch> wrote:

Hallo everybody,

trying now to add ca. 10000 entries to my directory using LDAP client
I've noticed that slapd (2.1.8 yeah a bit old ....)  starts to do
"nothing". Here I mean that it actually responded to other clients but
the one which is supposed to add a lot of entries is hanging ..... Same
is happening with bdb and ldbm backends, it just stops to add entries. It
happens on solaris 6 and solaris 8 with both berkeley 4.1.24 and 4.1.25.

For example, in case of bdb slapd writes:

Mar 14 14:07:27 c003996 slapd[21377]: [ID 589251 local4.debug] ====>
bdb_unlocked_cache_return_entry_w( 9230 ): created (0)

nothing else happens afterwards.

Looking in the list I found that some people experienced troubles with
big amount of entries, however I have not found symptoms really similar
to mine. Hence is there any more or less general "roadmap" which one can
follow in order to identify reason for such strange behavior?

Thanx a lot, vadim tarassov.

Vadim,

I suggest upgrading to 2.1.16 when it becomes available, as there are a lot of bug fixes between 2.1.8 and 2.1.16 that most likely will fix the problem you are seeing.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Senior Systems Administrator ITSS/TSS/Computing Systems Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html