Re: problems connect to ldap server from another machine

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 16:57, Joel Thompson wrote:
> I had already stopped  the IPTABLES with:
> /etc/rc1.d/K92iptables stop
> But that didn't help.
>
> I didn't do the IPCHAINS yet, now that you mentioned it.
>
> viola! - I stopped it and LDAP WORKS!
>
> I am not familiar with IPTABLES or IPCHAINS, does anyone
> know a simple way to configure this to allow 389 requests through,
> without having to take done the firewall protection?

Look in /etc/sysconfig/ipchains.  You should see a line similar to:
-A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 389 -p tcp -y -j REJECT

Note the '389' port.  Remove that line and you should be OK.  If you
don't have a line like that, you may have a more restrictive firewall
which rejects everything not specifically allowed.  In that case, add a
line similar to the following:
-A input -s 0/0 -d 0/0 389 -p tcp -y -j ACCEPT

That one specifically allows packets to the ldap port.  Restart ipchains
and you should be good to go.

I would also suggest that you read up on the ipchains(8) command.  It's
better if you understand what is going on rather than taking my word for
it.

	/dwight
--
Dwight N. Tovey