Re: ldappasswd not changing old userPassword entry

At 07:28 AM 2/26/2003, Florian Stahl wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>ldappasswd -h hostname -x -v -D "cn=manager,dc=checkerei,dc=net" -W -S
>"cn=florian,ou=people,dc=checkerei,dc=net"
>
>works fine and I get a SSHA encrypted userPassword attribute for the above
>cn
>
>but when I try to change the old password to a new one with
>
>ldappasswd -h hostname -x -v -D "cn=manager,dc=checkerei,dc=net" -W -A -S
>"cn=florian,ou=people,dc=checkerei,dc=net"
>
>or
>
>ldappasswd -h hostname -x -v -D
>"cn=florian,ou=people,dc=checkerei,dc=net" -W -A -S
>"cn=florian,ou=people,dc=checkerei,dc=net"
>
>after entering the old passwd and new passwd twice plus the bind passwd for
>cn=manager
>I get an ignorant "DSA is unwilling to perform - use bind to verify old
>password"

It means "try again without providing the old password as part
of the password modify operation".  That is, don't specify
a -A (or -a) option.

(These options exist to interoperate with non-OpenLDAP servers
which demand the old password even though the user has already
provided it using the bind operation.)