Re: OpenLDAP in Production

hi,

I run it in a production scene. Week by week it manages more and more
data. Next will be our email accounts. It works great. Replicates to
a 2nd server in a different city.  Barley uses any CPU. I just added
a corporate contact list accesable by Outlook 2000, have all our user
info in it .... I have ecvelent programming support from Python and
Java.

Don't believe everything you read.

j.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:05:31AM -0500, Brian K. Jones wrote:
> I was thumbing through the pages of an LDAP book in the bookstore and
> came across a paragraph about OpenLDAP, which said:
>
> "...I personally know of people who have done significant testing and
> prototyping work using these products. However, I know of nobody who has
> yet trusted them to support his or her business applications. Bottom
> line: If you want to play with compiling and modifying your own LDAP
> server, this is a good place to start."
>
> This is discouraging, as I had planned to put OpenLDAP into production,
> after evaluating eDir and, to a lesser extent, the Sun product.  Aside
> from GUI tools and docs (which I don't have a particularly dire need
> for), where is OpenLDAP lacking compared to eDir and Sun?  Why shouldn't
> I put this into production?
>
> Interestingly, the author doesn't give an opinion on Linux, and the
> first chapter in the book was 'Active Directory', IIRC.

..... Jason C. Leach
..

Current PGP/GPG Key ID: 43AD2024