Library Build weirdness

I'm trying to build Openldap 2.0.27 on linux (SuSE 7.2), and the shared libraries don't seem to be getting built properly.  Instead of files like libldap.so.2, I'm getting names like this:

liblber*.so  liblber.so.?  libldap*.so  libldap.so.?  libldap_r*.so  libldap_r.so.?

I suspect it's some incompatibility in the build tools because 2.0.11 builds properly.  I don't see anything in the doc about dependencies on libtool or anything.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.