ldapsearch/ldap.conf/nss_ldap

I have two instances of  ldap servers running on different ports on the same
server. One on the default port and the other on port 3899.
I also have /etc/openldap/ldap.conf set up for searching the instance
running on port 3899. Why doesn't ldapsearch use the parameters in
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf for the search? When I provide the same parameters
in the command line it works fine.

I am using another machine as the ldap client running Redhat Linux 7.2 with
kernel-2.4.18-24.7.x, and
openldap-2.0.27-2.7.3
auth_ldap-1.4.8-3
nss_ldap-189-4
openldap-clients-2.0.27-2.7.3

My goal is to set up authentication, which is also not working. I wonder if
the same reason why ldapsearch cannot read /etc/openldap/ldap.conf applies
to the fact that I cannot get authentication information from the server
using /etc/ldap.conf.

Thanks,

Celso

Celso G. Lima