RE: killing slapd

Good day,

> hi,
>
> Please forgive the ignorance, and thanks in advance for any help.
>
> I've successfully (I think) installed OpenLDAP on my Mandrake 9. I've
> managed to add  entries as in the Quick Start Guide. but when
> i try to stop
> slapd with:
>
> kill -INT 'cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid' or
>
> kill -TERM 'cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid'
>
> it just outputs this:
> bash: kill: cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid: no such pid
>
> what am i missing?

Right idea, wrong syntax.  You need backquotes in your command instead of
single quotes so that that cat command is executed.  As is, you are trying
to kill the pid of number "cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid"

Try:

kill -TERM `cat /usr/local/var/slapd.pid`

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP
630 - 3rd Avenue SW