Re: idletimeout & OS X question

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 03:01 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

We have been experimenting with allowing OS X boxes to get their NIS schema from our openldap server. We've noticed a problem with them opening a connection that never gets closed.

The generally accepted band-aid is to do a "killall DirectoryService" (on the OSX box) from a cron job periodically. This clears out accumulation zombie connections and also heaps prevent other LDAP related DirectoryService bugs from appearing.

Yes, very ugly, but until Apple actually gets serious about making OSX work well in an existing IT infrastructure, there are lots of ugly things like this to deal with.

Visit www.macosxlabs.org if you have not already. There was a webcast there yesterday on this sort of thing...I was busy at teh time so I'll have to watch the archive version to see if there are any better band-aids...

-john