Re: need some information

>I am new to LDAP and wanted some information.
>(my questions are based on limited understanding).
>- openldap implements both a LDAP client and a server, but
>does it implement a X.500 directory ?

No, there was a LDAP<->X.500 gateway, I'm not sure how maintained it is.

>- apart from Active Directory, are there any other directory
>implementations ?

Yes, many. M$-AD is not an LDAP server, it merely contains an LDAP
server component with lots of proprietary crap piled around it.

>- suppose, I have to use LDAP for user authentication on Unix
>systems, do I have to use Kerberos (if I don't want to use simple
>passwords) ? where would be the user information stored in this
>case ?

No, you do not need to use Kerberos.  If your DSA is OpenLDAP you can
use one of many SASL mechanisms.

All of this is in the documentation -
http://www.openldap.org/doc/
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf
http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/ldap-auth.php
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-07/lw-07-ldap_1.html