Re: Redhat 7.3 + openLDAP

Chris Andrew wrote:
it could be a dns timeout - whats the contents of your /etc/hosts file?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org]On Behalf Of bondpaper
Sent: 12 February 2003 18:18
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Redhat 7.3 + openLDAP

Hello,

I've been investigating the use of an LDAP directory for managing in-house customer-related information, and though I'm at the very beginning of the process, I've come across a condition that has me puzzled. Redhat 7.3 comes with everything installed regarding OpenLDAP, SASL, etc, so I haven't needed to compile and install anything separately. After I set up the slapd.conf file to contain the basic information (rootdn and rootpw), and the /etc/ldap.conf file to contain the correct host and base definitions, I issue the following standard search command to check and make sure it's working:

ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts

The problem is that it takes about minute to return with a response. The same delay is present when I add a couple of simple records from an ldif file using ldapadd. I'm puzzled as to why this delay exists, and I'm wondering if someone can point me to possible solution.

Thanks.

Tom

Chris,

Thanks for your response. The contents of my /etc/hosts file is as follows:

127.0.0.1 stiller.tom.com localhost
19.168.1.28 shorty.tom.com shorty

This seems to be in compliance with the hosts man page, but I still get the delay when doing anything related to ldap.

Regards,

Tom