RE: Memory and CPU usage

"Howard Chu" <hyc@highlandsun.com> wrote on 02/16/2003 10:35:24 PM:

> > As far as T.'s "(?=undefined)" goes, where are we at here? Where does
> > the "(?=undefined)" come from? From your explanation, it could be easy
> > to deduce why his configuration didn't work. Did the "(?=undefined)"
> > have anything to do with it? It doesn't seem so, to me.
>
> This comes from trying to filter an attributeType that doesn't have a
> matching rule defined. Thus, that element of the filter is undefined,
and
> doesn't contribute to the results of the search.

That is not what was happening to my server. I have carefully rechecked my
coded LDAP queries, and all search criteria are valid attributes. The
"(?=undefined)" error would happen when slapd memory jumped to over 150 MB
and CPU usage to 99-100%. The log would show that message repeating until
I did a kill -9 on the process. Other queries would get through but much
more slowly because the server kept looping on that "(?=undefined)" error.

>From what I can tell from your message, at worst, that message should only
happen once for each query and not simply repeat forever like it did on
mine. The message and the resource usage spike always happened
simulatanously.

Tim