Re: dc=example,dc=com

>After persistantly briusing my head on the desktop.......
>It dawned on me.  The reason I keep getting ds=example,dc=com is because
>there has to be *two* ldap.conf file, and I am _obviously_ editing the
>wrong one....and there is two. One in the /etc/openldap/ldap.conf and
>one in the /etc/ldap.conf

Yep, and this is stated in the documentation.  /etc/openldap/ldap.conf
is where you define the defaults for the OpenLDAP libraries and
utilities (ldapsearch, ldapmodify, etc...) /etc/ldap.conf is used by the
LDAP PAM and NSS modules.  These do not serve the same purpose and these
should not be linked together,  although that may by happenstance work.

>I don't care how they got there, or who's fault it is, I just wanted the
>archives to reflect it. That is why I am posting it :-)

It isn't a "fault" because that's the way it is supposed to be.