dc=example,dc=com

After persistantly briusing my head on the desktop.......

It dawned on me.  The reason I keep getting ds=example,dc=com is because
there has to be *two* ldap.conf file, and I am _obviously_ editing the
wrong one....and there is two. One in the /etc/openldap/ldap.conf and
one in the /etc/ldap.conf

The /etc/ldap.conf was well commented so I kept it and aslo made a
symlink from the /etc/openldap to point to it.  Now the getent hosts
work correctly.

I don't care how they got there, or who's fault it is, I just wanted the
archives to reflect it. That is why I am posting it :-)

--
robert