From: Norbert Klasen
[mailto:norbert+lists.openldap-software@burgundy.dyndns.org]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 9:31 AM
To: Daniel Barron; openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: openldap and SSL with AD

--On Donnerstag, 13. Februar 2003 14:49 +0000 Daniel Barron
<ldaplist@jadeb.com> wrote:

> I have set up the win2k AD to work with LDAPS on port 636 and I have
> tested it to work with an windows ldap browser that works over SSL.
> So all that bits done.
>
> But I have no idea how to change the code to make it connect using
> LDAPS.
>
> I tried ldapsearch with the -ZZ option and -p 636 but all I got was:
> ldap_init( 192.168.72.230, 636 )
> ldap_start_tls: Can't contact LDAP server

You're mixing START_TLS (which normally uses port 389) and LDAPS. The -ZZ
option requires START_TLS which is not supported by AD. Try using
ldap_initilize("ldaps://192.168.72.230").
Unless you're server certificate containes a subjectAltName extension of
type ip address, you'll also need to use the server's FQDN instead of its
IP.

See also http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/185.html

Norbert