openldap and SSL with AD

I have written a short program in c which connects to an win2k AD using
LDAP with the openldap libraries (openldap-2.0.27-2.8.0).

It works perfectly :)

It uses:
ldap_init
ldap_simple_bind_s
ldap_search_ext_s
etc
ldap_unbind

I have set up the win2k AD to work with LDAPS on port 636 and I have tested
it to work with an windows ldap browser that works over SSL.  So all that
bits done.

But I have no idea how to change the code to make it connect using LDAPS.

I tried ldapsearch with the -ZZ option and -p 636 but all I got was:
ldap_init( 192.168.72.230, 636 )
ldap_start_tls: Can't contact LDAP server

So I assume its not TLS, but SSL I need.

I've searched for some time and not found anything to help.  I tried the
archives and did a search for 'ssl' over the last 12 months and nothing
came up - no matches.

What would be nice is:

a) a pointer to some example code.
b) a pointer to some docs about the functions needed.
c) any pointers at all :)

Can anyone help please?

--
Daniel Barron