Memory and CPU usage

Hello,

I have searched through the archives of this list and have not found
anything that solves my problem. I am using OpenLDAP 2.1.12 with the BDB
backend and Berkeley DB 4.1.25 on RedHat Linux 8.0. There are around 50000
entries loaded into the directory. I have set cachesize in slapd.conf to
10000 and set_cachesize 0 10000000 0 in DB_CONFIG in my data directory.

I start slapd, and it initially uses 3 - 4 MB of memory, then it grows to
around 8 or 9 MB after some usage, and finally, some time later suddenly
shoots to over 100 MB of RAM. This last spike is sometimes accompanied by
CPU usage increasing to 99%. Often, a simple kill -INT won't terminate
slapd then.

How should I begin troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks for your help,

Tim