Re: LDAP usages

Robert Canary wrote:
We have three mail servers....
Will LDAP allow me to control these accounts?  I am mainly concerned
about the second (semi-public) server.  It has allotof moving parts to
be edited for a virtual mail user to function properly, as well as
adding a domain.

LDAP will allow you to manage account information. It can host account information for clients on your network, provided the clients support the protocol (most mail clients are headed in this direction). You can also use LDAP for managing authentication credentials centrally for services that support it. However, understand that an LDAP server alone only hosts data and accounts, albeit in a standard way. You would need to add application layer software or use compatible hooks from other products to "do" other things with that data. The good news is that you have lots of options, because as a standard LDAP is somehow supported in a plethora of products and most modern programming languages.

Dose LDAP have to be loaded on the same server, or can it be else where
on the network.  I mainly need LDAP for a more standardizes approach for
admin:ing mail accounts and domains.

The servers can be anywhere, and data can typically be managed remotely.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com