Re: GDBM vs BDB as openldap backend.

(I'm assuming by BDB you mean Berkeley DB, not the bdb backend of OpenLDAP.)

GDBM is the weak fallback supported by OpenLDAP, and is generally not the
suggested backend database provider for OpenLDAP.  Berkeley DB is much
more robust.

If you are using a supported-by-OpenLDAP version of Berkeley DB, if you're
having stability problems you should verify you are using up-to-date
versions of both packages.  And run the Berkeley DB test suite (which is
very time consuming and complete) to verify you have no problems which
might be causing you problems.

I personally use the OpenLDAP 2.1.12 ldbm backend (bdb under test) with
Berkeley 4.1.25 on Solaris 7.  No stability problems of note, and no CPU
pegging out.

Alan Sparks, UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator    <asparks@doublesparks.net>