Re: OpenLDAP on RedHat 8.0

Jan Hugo Prins wrote:
Hello,

I have installed the openldap packages on my RedHat 8.0 system with all
default settings, just changed the DN options to reflect my own domain etc
and I filled in a ROOTDN password. Then I read some documentation on
openldap.org about quickstart and I found there a command to test if your
openldap server is working. I tried that but got unable to connect
messages all the time.

Then I started the slapd in debug mode, tried -d 8 and -d 16 to see packet
and network information, and tried -d -1 to see everything. When I do a
ldapsearch on the system from the local workstation I continuasly get
unknown host connection / connection refused on the server site. I can
understand this message if you try to connect from a different system, but
from localhost I would suspect that it would at least work.

I also tried a config file that I found in the documentation directory and
that doesn't help me much either.

Does your slapd listen on your hostname address (eth0) or localhost , or both !

Here's mine running on both:
check you /etc/init.d/ldap file, and maybe try to start slapd -h '"ldap://localhost:389 ldap://yourhost:389";'

check olso iptables just in case ...

here I have:

$  nmap localhost -p 389

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
Port       State       Service
389/tcp    open        ldap

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1 second
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@corbeau /etc/openldap]
$  nmap corbeau -p 389

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on corbeau (157.159.50.91):
Port       State       Service
389/tcp    open        ldap

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1 second

I have reverse DNS and forward DNS working for both IPv4 and IPv6. Tried to compile without IPv6, don't have testresults from that yet but the fact that I found no info about IPv6 not working properly does not make me hopefull that that is the sollution.

Is there anyone here that can help me in the good direction? Maybe a set
of configuration files to start with so I have a working begin?

Greetings,
Jan Hugo Prins