Please help!! ldapdelete returns "Strong(er) authentication required (8)"

Please help

I recently upgraded to openldap 2.1.9 from 2.0.7. Now when I try the following command:

ldapdelete -h server "uid=userid,dc=our_dc,dc=our_dc" -D "dc=our_dc,dc=our_dc,dc=our_dc" -w "password"

which worked fine under 2.07, I get the following error:

"Delete Result: Strong(er) authentication required (8)"
"Additional info: modifications require authentication"

I didn't compile openldap with any secure authentication options.

I read on the list archives that using -x will get around this error, but so far it hasn't worked for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help