What is standard practice?

Hello again everyone,
Thanks to those of you who have helped me in this process of getting LDAP
services configured.  I have reached a point where I think I have a
configuration under Linux and Solaris that will work for us.  However, I
wanted to ask those of you who are running OpenLDAP with Solaris 8 clients a
question.
I have the configuration working such that either via dtlogin and the CDE or
SSH you can login and change your LDAP password by typing the command
"passwd."  However, if you need to change a user password in the local
passwd/shadow files you have to use the command passwd -r files.  My
associates here are worried that this could cause confusion.  How are others
dealing with this problem?  Or is this not a problem with a better config?

 I arrived at this configuration because it was necessary to ensure that it
would always be possible to login if the LDAP server was down or
unavailable, also, it was necessary to have the dtlogin work (I never got it
to work properly with PADL so I had to use the native Solaris LDAP client
libraries).
If you have a moment can you let me know what your thoughts are on this?
Thanks,

Christopher Whalen
Children's Hospital Medical Center
Department of Pediatric Informatics
3333 Burnet Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45229-7024
Phone: (513) 636 - 1301
Fax: (513) 636 - 2056
mailto:christopher.whalen@chmcc.org

PS - if anyone has the native automounter working with Solaris and LDAP I
would really like to talk to you!