Authentication with ldap_simple_bind_s

Hi,

I would like to know, how to authenticate in the right way with the
slapd. During installation a simple ldap-tree was created with
c=de, o=foo. During installation (of the debian packet) I provided
a password for cn=admin, I will call it "public" now...

Now I want to bind with
ldap_simple_bind_s(conHandle, "cn=admin,o=foo,c=de", "public")
in order to get write access to my ldap tree. But I always get an
"insufficient credentials" error back.
ldap_simple_bind_s(conHandle, "o=foo,c=de", "public") gives the same
error.
The bind from the draft-example with ldap_simple_bind_s(conHandle, NULL, NULL)
works fine, but I dont have write access.
So whats my fault?

Thanks in advance,
              Andre.