Problem with userCertificate;binary

I've been browsing the list archives for a while now, hoping to find an answer to my woes.

A couple of days ago I downloaded OpenLDAP 2.1.12, and compiled it on a RH 7.2 server. I have been fiddling with this installation for a while, and things seem to work as expected except for one thing:

When I try to upload a user certificate (using ldapadd), I consistently get one of the following errors:

a. Object class violation (65)
	additional info: attribute 'userCertificate;binary' not allowed

or:
b. Undefined attribute type (17)
	additional info: userCertificate: requires ;binary transfer

In the first case I have tried to attach the certificate with the following syntax:

...some data ...
userCertificate;binary:< file:///somepath/certfile.b64

In the second case the entry looks like this:

...some data...
userCertificate:< file:///somepath/certfile.b64

Can anyone explain to me what might be going on here?

Best regards,
Bjørn Asle Taranger

mail: bjorn.taranger@conax.com
tel: +47 90 92 82 42