Re: Monitor Backend + web Graphs

Ok, monitor works fine now :-)

for those of you interested, I've written a doc on how to extract information from backend-monitor and display it with graphs browsable through HTML using the combination of mrtg/rrd/snmp and a perl script monitor report. Actually it is originaly a doc on using mrtg/rrd/snmp to graph any kind of data, but I included ldap monitoring graphs in it.

http://www.int-evry.fr/mci/user/procacci/Doc/monitor-snmp-ldap-rrd.html

sreenshots (from a poorly used ldap server !) are in :

http://www.int-evry.fr/mci/user/procacci/Doc/monitor-snmp-ldap-rrd.html#htoc16

Unfortunatly the doc is in french ! but config files, perl script are in english anyway, there are also good online traductors ...

The monitor perl script http://www.int-evry.fr/mci/user/procacci/Files/monitor-jp.pl
isn't the best I (and the original creator Vincent.Mathieu@univ-nancy2.fr) could do, but it works !.
Any contribution to it is welcome .

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
Dieter Kluenter wrote:

I don't know wether 2.0.25 supports the Monitor Backend but to try,
just add a new database directive to your slapd.conf
database monitor
and try ldapsearch -b "cn=monitor"

-Dieter

this works for me with openldap 2.1.11, but I don't see any valuable information about monitoring in there !? could you give an example of a ldapseach query with interesting value returned .

The interesting thing is that by reading with
-b "<some valid rdn>,cn=monitor" -s base
you do not incur in the overhead of the earlier
"cn=monitor" implementation, and you have a finer
grain monitoring of slapd's subsystems: you can
see, for instance, what listeners are active,
what databases of what backend type serve what
naming contexts and so.  Feel free to suggest
improvements (e.g. more significant info in a
more practical form or with a better defined schema).
One nice feature is that you can write (yes!)
to the "cn=Log" subsystem via ldapmodify to change
the loglevel runtime.
To this extent back-monitor should be considered
experimental, that is it will evolve based on user
needs (and consensus).  At present it simply does
a bit more than the earlier implementation in
a more versatile way.

P.M.