OpenLDAP & PAM Config for passwd.

Hi,

I have looked in older posts, but the solutions didn't solve my problem.

I am trying to set up my server so I can have users in LDAP, and use PAM to get information from there for passwd and vsftpd.  I have added a user to the
LDAP, and altered /etc/ldap.conf, /etc/pam.d/passwd, /etc/pam.d/vsftpd

I am however unable to do a passwd as root for a user who has forgotten their
password.  Here is what happens :

whale:~ # passwd greenacres
Changing password for greenacres.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
LDAP Password incorrect: try again
Enter login(LDAP) password:
LDAP Password incorrect: try again
Enter login(LDAP) password:
LDAP Password incorrect: try again
New password:
Re-enter new password:
You can only change local passwords.
passwd: Authentication information cannot be recovered

And the password doesn't change.

Should I be entering the root password for the user on the server or the
password for root in LDAP, either way - it does the same.

I have tried to user ldappasswd with no success either :

ldappasswd -D "cn=root,cn=sws,cn=oldham,cn=net" -W -s password
"uid=greenacres,cn=sws,cn=oldham,cn=net" -v -x
Enter bind password:
ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials

I have tried the "proxyuser" method using /etc/ldap.secret - but that didn't
work either (I am not too sure *what* that did :-).

I am planning to use TLS (but its not set up yet) so I am not bothered about
sedning plain text passwords to the LDAP, and letting OpenLDAP do the
encypting, I think I have it set up like that now.

I think I probably have vsftp working, but can't check due to not knowing the
test users pasword!

Below are a copy of the relevent section of my files :

/etc/ldap.conf

host 127.0.0.1
base dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net
scope one
pam_filter                      objectClass=posixAccount
pam_login_attribute             uid
pam_member_attribute            gid
pam_template_login_attribute    uid
pam_password                    exop
nss_base_passwd                 ou=users,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net?one
nss_base_shadow                 ou=users,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net?one
nss_base_group                  ou=group,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net?one

/etc/pam.d/passwd

#%PAM-1.0
auth     sufficient     pam_ldap.so
auth     required       pam_unix2.so    nullok
account  sufficient     pam_ldap.so
account  required       pam_unix2.so
password required       pam_pwcheck.so  nullok
password required       pam_unix2.so    nullok use_first_pass use_authtok
password sufficient     pam_ldap.so
session  required       pam_unix2.so

/etc/openldap/slapd.conf

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net"
rootdn          "cn=root,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net"
password-hash   {MD5}
rootpw          {MD5}asdsadsa====d==f=d=sf=3=
directory       /var/lib/ldap
schemacheck     on
sizelimit       2000
lastmod         on
threads         200
concurrency     175
idletimeout     300
cachesize       2000
dbcachesize     10000000
loglevel        100
index   objectClass,uid,uidNumber,gidNumber eq
access to dn=".*,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net" attr=userPassword
        by dn="cn=root,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net" write
        by self write
        by * auth
access to dn=".*,ou=users,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net"
        by * read
access to dn=".*,dc=sws,dc=oldham,dc=net"
        by self write
        by * read

My user is :

n: cn=greenacres, ou=users, dc=sws, dc=oldham, dc=net
cn: Greenacres
sn: Primary School
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: shadowAccount
uid: greenacres
userPassword: {crypt}ZoPAp4EhfC..M
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 1000
gecos: Greenacres Primary School
loginShell: /bin/false
homeDirectory: /exports/httpd/oldhamschuk/greenacres
shadowLastChange:10877
shadowMin: 0
shadowMax: 999999
shadowWarning: 7