samba-specific question about attribute generation

In our ldap, we have people who are in the following objectclasses

top
person
inetOrgPerson
posixAccount
shadowAccount
customObjectClass:

by doing a comparison of the exported .ldif files from a (test) person's entry before and after using 'smbpasswd -a' on a machine that is configured to make those changes back into the directory (instead of in the smbpasswd file) i discover that

in addition to objectclass: sambaAccount

i also have the following attributes

rid:
displayName:
primaryGroupID:
logonTime: 0
acctFlags: [UX         ]
logoffTime: 2147483647
kickoffTime: 2147483647
pwdLastSet: 1043292599
pwdCanChange: 0
pwdMustChange: 2147483647

I'm trying to build a php page that will promote a user to objectclass: sambaAccount -- my question is: Can I just populate those attributes with the above default values? DisplayName can be generated from cn or gecos. PrimaryGroupID can be chosen according to custom attributes that i have defined (and populated). Do i need to use a specific algorithm for generating an rid? Or can I just pick from a range of available numbers?

   thank you very much in advance for your time,
       ~c