RE: ugh. Can't get OpenLDAP to auth users - only Manager.

Good day,

> Here's my entry in the ldif output when I do an ldapsearch as
> 'Manager'
>
> dn: uid=jonesy,ou=People,dc=my,dc=domain,dc=com
> uid: jonesy
> cn: Brian K. Jones
> objectClass: account
> objectClass: posixAccount
> objectClass: top
> userPassword:: e2NyeXB0fU9ORW (It's a hash - I improvised)
> loginShell: /bin/bash
> uidNumber: 3025
> gidNumber: 34
> homeDirectory: /home/jonesy
> gecos: Brian K. Jones
>
> So my password is in there, and I know my password at least!  However,
> LDAP doesn't like me or something :-o

You're doing everything right, but, you just didn't crypt your password
properly.  The message that the LDAP server is returning is simply telling
you that your username and password combination isn't right.

The userPassword value you put in is "{crypt}ONE", that is, a password that
crypts to the crypted string "ONE", which won't work at all.  Note that I
got this from base64-decoding the value.

You can store the password as plain text for testing (i.e. just "ONE" and
not "{crypt}ONE"), but for further use you probably want to get some more
information about how to properly make hashed passwords.

HTH,

Darren Gamble
Planner, Regional Services
Shaw Cablesystems GP