Security and OpenLDAP

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone out there can point me to a location that has a
nice breakdown of the security options, their weaknesses, their strengths
and the tradoffs for OpenLDAP.
I still find the ACL options somewhat cryptic and can't get the
configuration that I want to work. I am thinking more along the lines of a
document that would tell me succinctly about Cyrus-SASL vs/with Kerberos
vs/with TLS, best ACL configurations, etc.  Yes I am a newbie, but I have
been trying to get this info off of the many sites and online HOWTOs with
info about OpenLDAP.  Usually it seems that many of the sites just describe
their authors favorite configuration without detailing the tradeoffs or
strengths of that config.
Thanks,
Chris Whalen