Re: Need some help with this authentication problem

What i was trying to find was some steps on how to configure the redhat client
to authenticate. I think i am having problems with the password because.

If i
1) login as root and then
2) do a "su - ldaptestuser" this works!
 i dont need the ldaptestuser password when i su from root.
 and everything works fine but i cant change or do anything with the
 passwrod.

but if i

1) login as myself (i am not in ldap)
2) su - ldaptestuser
 and i get prompted for the password, i get a password incorrect.

I tried the authconfig command on the client and that didnt help.
I must be missing something real simple but it escapes me. I cut and past the password from /etc/shadow into the account profile.

 Tony Earnshaw <tonni@billy.demon.nl> wrote:

man, 2003-01-20 kl. 15:40 skrev charld:

> I just got everything installed but I am having problems
> with authentication.
>
> I have a Redhat 7.3 LDAP server running
> openldap-2.0.11
> db-3.2.9
>
> And my clients are Redhat 7.3, Solaris 8 and Solaris 9. I need to get
> the Redhat Clients working first.
>
> When I try to log in with one of the LDAP managed accounts
> on the Redhat client I get ?incorrect password? but if I login
> as root and then su to one of the LDAP managed accounts it
> works fine. I am thinking I have a config problem with one of
> the pam files or something is incorrect with my password settings.

Root is in /etc/passwd, the ldap-based people aren't.

Assuming you have *everything* else configured directly, which is an
awfully big assumption, suspect the login file in /etc/pam.d. I (RH 7.2)
compiled and installed the PADL pam_ldap and nss_ldap modules and in
/usr/share/doc/nss_ldap-189/pam.d I have the correct files for
/etc/pam.d. Goodness knows where they are on standard RH installs, if
anywhere.

*Hint* Always make backups of any pam.d files you play around with, and
always keep a terminal open with a root login, in case anything goes
wrong.

The rest of your stuff looks o.k. at first glance, but I can't really
tell.

Best,

Tony