Re: md5 crypt hashed passwords on linux openldap server

Hi Branko,

This appears to me to be the same issue that I (and quite a few others) have run across before. The fix was to change the order of things in the XXLIBS part of the Makefile. On openldap 2.0.xx the way to make this work is:

         XXLIBS = $(LDBM_LIBS) $(SLAPD_LIBS) \
                $(LUTIL_LIBS) \
                $(SECURITY_LIBS) \
                $(LDIF_LIBS)

I haven't yet used openldap2.1 though so I can't guarantee it'll work.

good luck,
~c

Branko F. Grac(nar wrote:

Ho there!

I would like to migrate /etc/passwd to openldap server. Schema setup is done, users are in ldap directory too. I have problem, if the ldap server runs on linux platform, then passwords, migrated from /etc/shadow are not recognized (bind fails). If ldap server runs on FreeBSD platform with the same schema, then md5 crypt passwords are successfully recognized.

both ldap servers were compiled with --enable-crypt, both have password-crypt-salt-format "$1$%.8s$" configuration parameter in slapd.conf.

is there any way to use $1$8_char_salt$md5_hashed_pass style password authentication on linux platform?

I use openldap 2.1.12

Best regards, Brane