slapd does not start

Hi!
I'm new to this list and would like to ask a (hopefully not so) stupid
question. I searched the list archive and googled a lot, but the only
result was a similar question with no answer.

When i try to start slapd it says:

zaphod# /usr/local/libexec/slapd '-d 1 -h "ldap://[::] ldap://0.0.0.0";;'
@(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.0.25-Release (Thu Jan 16 14:56:28 CET 2003) $

daemon_init: listen on ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners to open...
ldap_url_parse_ext(ldap:///)
daemon: initialized ldap:///
daemon_init: 1 listeners opened
slapd init: initiated server.
slapd startup: initiated.
backend_startup: bi_open 1 failed!
slapd shutdown: initiated
ldbm backend syncing
ldbm backend done syncing
====> cache_release_all
slapd shutdown: freeing system resources.
slapd stopped.
connections_destroy: nothing to destroy.

I tried with full debugging on (-d -1) but the output is the same. The
configuration is as minimalistic as the exaple in the admin guide. This
is happening on a FreeBSD-STABLE system.

What's going wrong here?
How can i do further investigation?

TIA,
Marc