From: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
[mailto:owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org] On Behalf Of Jim C
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:59 AM
To: openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Newbies - Dont forget to do your penance ;-)

Some folks get on these lists and get what they need answered and then
leave and don't return.  This, in my opinion is a very poor practice.
Once I get to a point where I know what I am doing, I make it a point to
stick around and answer what questions I can for a period of at least a
year.  I also may write one or more extremely detailed template how-to
email for things that gave me a lot of trouble.  Anyway, even if they
are not tough questions, it relieves the experts to answer the tough
questions.  After being a student it is only polite to help out the
teachers.  I call this, "Doing A Newbie Penance" and I feel it
exemplifies a "best practice" for any opensource user/administrator.
Some of the help that we get is quite valuable and this always seemed a
reasonable way to help "pay" for opensource.

I've also found that occasionally there is some tidbit of functionality
or a neat-o trick that I've missed somewhere along the way that crops up
in conversation.  Usually it comes from one of the experts but even
students sometimes have something to teach. ;-)