Anyone on this list patient with stupid questions?

Good! For starters:

1. I am trying to establish an LDAP server on a private home network. Can this be done when I have no domain name? (If the answer is "No" then forget the other questions.)

2. Where should the active configuration file, slapd.conf, be located, in /etc/openldap or /usr/local/etc/openldap?

3. In my slapd.conf, there is a database setting, mine is:

database:  ldbm

But, there are no ldbm files on my computer, only *.ldif files that I have created. What information source does OpenLDAP use to search for an address?

4. I have a slapd.conf and a lapd.conf; what is the difference between these two? Do both have to be configured?

5. I am trying to establish the LDAP server on a computer running Redhat Linux 8.0. In your experience, which is the best non-commercial client? I have Directory Administrator, GQ LDAP Client, and Rolodap.