Re: Monitor Backend

Hi,

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 19:27, you wrote:
> I disagree.  I'm currently using HEAD code, and I can have
> rootdn/rootpw pairs in monitor database with other databases
> defined as well.

I had multiple rootpw/rootdn pairs, all pointing to the same DN.
After an upgrade (I do not remember the exact version)
slapd complained about rootpw being only allowed with
rootdn below the database's suffix (the same message
the original poster received) and diod not want to start.
The only remedy I found was to delete the rootpw directive
where the DN of the rootdn directive was not below the
database suffix.

Have a try:

<slapd.conf>
  database ldbm
  suffix "c=DE"
  directory /var/lib/openldap/DE
  rootdn "cn=Administrator,c=DE"
  rootpw secret

  database monitor
  rootdn "cn=Administrator,c=DE"
</slapd.conf>

and

<slapd.conf>
  database ldbm
  suffix "c=DE"
  directory /var/lib/openldap/DE
  rootdn "cn=Administrator,c=DE"
  rootpw secret

  database monitor
  rootdn "cn=Administrator,cn=monitor"
  rootpw secret
</slapd.conf>

will work while

<slapd.conf>
  database ldbm
  suffix "c=DE"
  directory /var/lib/openldap/DE
  rootdn "cn=Administrator,c=DE"
  rootpw secret

  database monitor
  rootdn "cn=Administrator,c=DE"
  rootpw secret
</slapd.conf>

will fail and give the error message cited above.
The reason for failing is that in the last example the DN of the rootdn
directive is not in cn=Monitor. Thus rootpw is forbiddden in this
database / suffix.

Yours
Peter
--