ldap queries for group membership (was: Too many slapd processes)

Hi fellows,

I've tracked down my problem and found out why I get so many ldap queries.

User authentication works fine. Information for passwd and shadow is taken from the flat files only if an appropriate entry exists. Group information though is always gathered from the flat files AND the LDAP directory even if an entry exists in /etc/group. Doesn't this contradict to the default behaviour in nsswitch.conf which is [SUCCESS=return]. Is there a way to stop the clients from looking up ALL the groups in the directory? What I need is something like

group files [SUCCESS=return] ldap

But this doesn't do the trick.
Any hints?

Many thanks in advance.