getting at the schema for an object

Hi,
  After looking at the sources for gq and the list archives I am still a
little lost as to how given a DN to get the schema for that object.

For example doing a search for me in my local ldap db:
ldapsearch "(objectClass=*)" -b "cn=ben, dc=my-domain, dc=com" \
-s base -u -P 3 +
one can easily see the subschemaSubentry: cn=Subschema (which I can get
from the base DN anyway) but from there it seems that cn=Subschema just
has among other things a multivalued objectClasses attribute.

My question is if looping through all the objectClasses manually is the
recommended way to find the schema for me
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
or is there a more efficient way that I have failed to notice?

I'm using the C API to do this.

Thanks.