Re: where are the FM...?

>I am relatively new to (Open)LDAP and got quite far with it yet but I
>got to a point where some questions arise which I did not find an answer
>for yet.
>Can you please point me out to a location where I find a "HOWTO

The OpenLDAP FAQ has many links.  My LDAP documentation is at
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf

>I try to set an substring-index onto the
>mailLocalAddress-attribute which is rejected with
>--snip
>/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 87: substr index of attribute
>"mailLocalAddress" disallowed
>--snap
>I just do not get the point why this happens... :(

attributetype ( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.1.13
        NAME 'mailLocalAddress'
        DESC 'RFC822 email address of this recipient'
        EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
        SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{256} )

There is no SUBSTR matching criteria in the schema for this attribute.
This is a pretty much part of the standard schema, you shouldn't change
it.  I suspect if you need a SUBSTR index for this attribute you are using
it for something other than the intended purpose (for use by an MDA in
determining point of final delivery).  Take a look at mail -

attributetype ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.3
        NAME ( 'mail' 'rfc822Mailbox' )
        DESC 'RFC1274: RFC822 Mailbox'
    EQUALITY caseIgnoreIA5Match
    SUBSTR caseIgnoreIA5SubstringsMatch
    SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26{256} )

if your looking to construct an addressbook, etc..  Humans should never
care about the value of mailLocalAddress.

>Furthermore I am searching some stuff to read under the topic "HOWTO
>tune OpenLDAP". I am not yet sure, but I suspect there are quite some
>optimizations possible to the standard setup which will give me the
>speed-up I need.

Alot depends upon you backend.

There is some information on tuning in my LDAP presentation.
ftp://ftp.kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf