newbie question:Indexing taking a really long time...

I've uploaded 5 lakh entries using slapadd and am trying to index them using slapindex. It seems to be taking a really long time. Its 4 hours now since i started slapindex, and it hasnt completed yet. I read on the net that it would take long to index, but am not sure if long meant this long.
is it a problem???? If it is, what do i have to do to get around it??? Please help....

parthasarathi s a
e-mail: parthasarathi at odysseytec dot com
`When you say " I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*".'
(By Linus Torvalds)