Re: please help me with LDAP authentication with PAM

Hi sidharth!

login as root (you have to specify "root" at the login prompt an then hit enter
and then enter the password for root and then hit enter again)

goto the etc/ directory:

#cd /etc/

make a backup of you pam.d directory:

#cp -r pam.d/ pam.d.orig/

Then goto the /usr/share/doc directory:

#cd /usr/share/doc/

(and don´t forget to hit enter ;-) )

Then enter the following:

#cd `rpm -q nss_ldap | sed s/-[0-9]$//`

This will get you into the nss_ldap directory of the appropriate version,
something like /usr/share/doc/nss_ldap-198/

Now copy the pam.d directory there to your etc/ directory:

#cp -r pam.d/ /etc/

goto the etc directory:

#cd /etc/

edit the nsswitch.conf file:

#vi nsswitch.conf

Now, this is complicated! Enter ":/^passwd" into the texteditor. This will get
you to the important part of the file. There you hit twice the "w" key. Now hit
the "i" key. And now enter the word "ldap ". VERRY important is the space, you
have to enter a space character after the "ldap" word!

Hit "Esc", then enter ":/^shadow" into the texteditor. There you hit twice
the "w" key. Now hit the "i" key. And now enter the word "ldap ". VERRY
important is the space, you have to enter a space character after the "ldap"
word!

Hit "Esc", then enter ":/^group" into the texteditor. There you hit twice
the "w" key. Now hit the "i" key. And now enter the word "ldap ". VERRY
important is the space, you have to enter a space character after the "ldap"
word!

Almost done. Now hit "Esc" again, then enter the ":" character, type "wq" and
hit enter. Now type "reboot -h now" and see if it works.

If it doesn´t work, mail me, and I will provide you with detailed step by step
instructions, how you can undo, what you have done now. Ok?

:-)

**If you don´t understand or are scared by any of the above please ask your
parents or an adult to help you**