Re: ldap_add: No such object - another one

Your ldif lacks the entry that defines the root of your DIT. It's not enough to define the suffix in slapd.conf.
You should add something like:

dn: dc=name,dc=com
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: name
dc: name

BEFORE anything else.
By the way, change your rootdn to something serious and throw in a password (even a plain text one), and see my other comments below.

cheers

Sonia Gillespie wrote:

I have defined my files as follows, and do not know what I have done wrong - I have only started using LDAP.
slapd.conf extract:

database	ldbm
suffix		"dc=name,dc=com"
rootdn		"dc=name,dc=com"
index	objectClass	eq

My ldif file -

dn: ou=employee,dc=name,dc=com
ou: employee
objectclass: top
objectclass: organizationalUnit
ou: employee

remove one of the ou: employee, they're redundant. Also try to keep some order in the entries (it's easier to read - something like dn, then objectclasses, then attributes)

dn: ForeName=Sonia,ou=employee,dc=name,dc=com ForeName: Sonia SurName1: Gillespie Department: dept TelephoneNumber1: 02890509301 objectclass: nameDirectory

I wonder where are the objectclasses for this entry ;-)

And I get the following error -

add ou:
employee
employee
add description:
Staff within Lagan
add objectclass:
top
organizationalUnit
adding new entry ou=employee,dc=lagan,dc=com
ldap_add: No such object
ldap_add: additional info: parent does not exist

And I wonder how the description here is "Staff within Lagan" while the entry in the ldif says "Staff list" :-p
Anyway, try to follow the quickstart guide _http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html_ and you'll see all these things are well covered therein.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Sonia Gillespie.

The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error.