Posix regex.h cannot be found during ldap install

can anyone please help me with this ? i cannot install ldap and need ldap
going before i can install all the other packages using it as its user
backend, i rebuilt my linux box , and for some reason it thinks gcc is
buggered but every other package compiles fine and when i gcc -v i get the
latest version and enabled posix threads in the configure line , if someone
else has experienced this please let me know thanks.