question about replication

We're running debian woody w/openldap-2.0.23 and we can't quite seem to get replication working.

Our attempt so far has consisted of the following steps:

Install openldap on another server (slave). Stop this slave server. Stop the master server. Tar the contents of /var/lib/ldap on the master. Restart the master. Untar the /var/lib/ldap on the slave (duplicating the contents of the master). Add schema files to slave, make changes to slapd.conf (add indexes, includes, updatedn (we're using cn=admin)) on slave. Edit slapd.conf on master, adding

replica host=server.simons-rock.edu
      bindmethod=simple
      binddn="cn=admin,dc=simons-rock,dc=edu"
      credentials="masterpassw"

Restarting both servers now results in changes being propagated from the slave to the master, but not in the other direction. After looking at the output from "ps aux" on the master, I realized that the action wasn't going on where i expected it. Noticing that slurpd seemed to be using

/var/spool/slurpd/replica/slurpd.replog

instead of what was specified in the slapd.conf

replogfile     /var/lib/ldap/replog

so i added the former to my replog statement and commented out the latter. This seemed to help ( i no longer get an error when executing /etc/init.d/slapd stop on the master like i had previously), but changes made to the master directory still don't seem to get propagated. They do get written to the replogfile (when i specify it to be the one that slurpd seems to be using anyway), but not passed through to the slave directory.

thanx much in advance, ~c