Re: Self-signed CA certificates in 2.1.8

On 08 Nov 2002 10:42:56 +0100 Tony Earnshaw <tonni@billy.demon.nl> wrote:
> tor, 2002-11-07 kl. 13:31 skrev Jani Patokallio:
> > I'm getting strange errors about self-signed certificates in OpenLDAP
> > 2.1.8 with OpenSSL 0.9.6b-28...
>
> Jani, I think, you'll find it's your server public cert that isn't
> being accepted. TLS certificate verification: depth: 1, err: 19 is o.k.(18
> and 19 are o.k.), that it's reported as self-signed means that there's no
> signing hierarchy stemming from a recognized authority.

Doesn't depth 1 means that it's the *second* certificate in the chain,
ie. the CA certificate, that's being rejected?  We tried feeding
OpenLDAP a self-signed server certificate (ie. signed by the server
itself, no CA involved), and OpenLDAP gave the same error with depth 0.

> In solving this one, make doubly sure that the SUBJECT of the server
> public key certificate agrees with the fully qualified name of your
> server, which must refer back to the IP number of the machine the ldap
> server is running on and agree with whatever method you use to resolve
> that IP number (whether that be /etc/hosts or DNS.)

So we rebuilt the thing from scratch, with CN=ldap.labra.fi in the
certificate's Subject field, and the IPs and machine names hardcoded
in the /etc/hosts file on both machines.  Still no go -- we're getting
precisely the same error, depth 1 err 19.  An Ethereal snoop of
the traffic seems to indicate that the names are being resolved
just fine.

Frankly, I'm at my wits' end here; looks like we'll have to hack
the code to ignore the error for time being, but this is obviously
not a long-term solution.  Could OpenSSL be the issue here?
Our certificates are generated on the same machine with the same
version though, so it seems unlikely...  the error is, according
to libldap/tls.c, originating from OpenSSL though.

Cheers,
-j.