Re: replica catchup to master

You HAVE to copy it originally! Then they are synchronous and updates
will happen.  The MASTER CAN'T keep a list of all the changes since the
Master began because all those changes ARE the current data.

In order for replication to happen, you have to modify the Master
slapd.conf and allow th slave to be updated by the Master.

I think you have several options:

1) What backend DB are you using? I think that with Berkeley, you can
use a brute force copy and start the slave with the copied data files.
You may lose a couple of updates unless you script this (you still may
after you script it)

2) restart the master in READ-ONLY mode via a script. Then do an LDIF
from the MASTER. Start your slave and import the LDIF. Modify your
Master slapd.conf to update the slave. Restart the Master in read/write
mode. You shoudl be in good shape.

3) something other mechanism I don't know.

I DO KNOW THIS- you have to copy the Online Data AT SOME POINT and
restart the Master and Slave. They will then be synchronous FROM THAT
POINT IN TIME.

Hope it helps!
Dave Augustus