ldap client to authenticate users

hello!

I'm implementing an ldap client to authenticate users in the ldap data
base. The programming language I'm using is C.

I think the function from the API to validate users is ldap_bind.
Does it work even when the ldap server is configured to encrypt the
passwords (for instance with crypt algorithm)?
Users in my ldap server are in different branches.The bind function
requires as a parameter the user dn, how can I know it before binding?
Are there source code examples or any guide to know the steps to follow
to implement a client like this?

Thank you very much in advance.
Have a nice day!
Alicia