Java LDAP api's

Hi,

I'm somewhat new to LDAP, and am launching a new Java project which will require an LDAP backend (with OpenLDAP being the preferable choice).

There are standard Java API's for LDAP (even covering LDAPv3) from Sun, in the javax.naming.directory and javax.naming.ldap packages. By contrast, posted on the OpenLDAP site, is the JLDAP class library donated by Novell. What's not clear from the OpenLDAP site is, why one would choose JLDAP over the standard Java API's, or whether they should be combined etc. I guess I'm looking for a brief positioning statement from this on JLDAP (e.g. why it exists?)

Thank you very much,

Bryan