Protocol error w/ldapsearch against Exchange

Title: Protocol error w/ldapsearch against Exchange

I'm brand new to OpenLDAP, but I would like to use ldapsearch to get a list of valid email addresses from a MS Exchange 5.5 LDAP directory.  I've read through lots of posts about others doing the same thing, so I think my syntax is correct, but I keep receiving the following:

$ ldapsearch -v -x -H ldap://172.16.1.202:389 -b "cn=Recipients,ou=SITE,o=ORGANIZATION, Inc." proxyAddresses
ldap_initialize( ldap://172.16.1.202:389 )
filter: (objectclass=*)
requesting: proxyAddresses
version: 2

#
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: proxyAddresses
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 2 Protocol error

# numResponses: 1

Exchange event log displays about the same with: LDAP search request failed with error: 2.

I'd just like to get this working first with anonymous access and a simple bind before moving on to authentication and SSL.

Here's what I'm running:
Redhat 7.3 w/OpenLDAP installed from RPMs
openldap-2.0.25-1.i386.rpm
openldap-clients-2.0.25-1.i386.rpm
openldap-devel-2.0.25-1.i386.rpm

Thanks for the help,